Arghhh….Good morning – the alarm just went off, so you drag yourself out of bed in the morning, and you remember that breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day. It gets your body started, it activates your brain, and it prepares you for work, school, or for whatever you are setting out to do.
So what do you do? You grab the first sugar-filled (and often chemical-filled) snack you find, right? WRONG! You think that may do the trick, but it is really counter-productive to your health. In addition to brushing your teeth, cleaning your tongue with your TUNG Brush and Gel and getting dressed, how about adding a healthy, clean breakfast to your morning regime. It will get you going AND be good for you!
Here are a few ideas to get you started. Thanks to eatingwell.com for these wonderful recipes – and you can find many more on their site. Remember, anything fresh is better than anything chemical! Lower sugar, lower fats, lower carbs, and fresh ingredients are in all of these recipes, but they are all packed with flavor so you won’t FEEL like you are missing out on anything!
Clean Breakfast Ideas
Here’s a great “to-go” berry smoothie you can make in a flash and just put into your thermos!
Combine 1 cup frozen mixed berries, ½ a banana, ½ cup of apple juice and ½ silken tofu in a blender – mix well and enjoy. It doesn’t get much easier than this to pack your morning with protein and fiber, not to mention yumminess!
This next recipe, for muffin mini-quiches, is something you can bake over the weekend and have ready for Monday morning…and Tuesday, too! 😊
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups finely diced red-skinned potatoes
- 1 cup diced red onion
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded smoked Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ½ teapsoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh spinach
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the potatoes are just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, cheese, milk, pepper and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Stir in spinach and the potato mixture. Divide the quiche mixture among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until firm to the touch, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from the tin.
NOTE: To make ahead: Individually wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds.
And for all you chocolate lovers, do not despair! Here is a recipe for Cocoa-Date Oatmeal that is easy to make and should satisfy the chocoholic in you!
Combine ¼ cup of chopped pitted dates (about 10-12 of them), 1 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats, 2 tablespoons cocoa, and then slowly stir in 2 cups of water. Partially cover with plastic wrap and microwave on medium for 4-5 minutes. Stir again, then microwave on medium again for 3-4 minutes. Continue stirring and cooking until creamy. Then… enjoy!
We hope this has given you some ideas about how to jump start your day with clean and healthy food. But if, perchance, it is Saturday – why not go back to bed for a few extra minutes until you get started? After all, you deserve some healthy rest, too 😉