Dinner is over, the dishes are done, homework is finished, the kids are in bed, the bills are paid, and you have caught up on your favorite cooking or home design TV show. You think you have wound down enough, so you put on your jammies, brush your teeth and clean your tongue and head to bed. Suddenly, the things you didn’t get done (or the things you have to do tomorrow) are running wild and wreaking havoc in your head and you can’t sleep!
Well, welcome to the human race! This happens to the best of us, regardless of how relaxed or organized we think we are. Not one of us hasn’t encountered the dreaded….insomnia!
Happily, though, there are a whole bunch ways to help improve your sleep naturally and without any medication. The TUNG Brush and Gel team has done the research for you, so here are just a few tips you can try without any major expense or drastic change in lifestyle:
Natural Ways to Improve Your Sleep
- Turn it off! An hour before bedtime, turn off the computer, the tv or anything that jostles the brain electronically. Read a book, work on a scrapbook, or color instead.
- Reduce caffeine and sugar! Try to eliminate intake of both of these stimulants after 3:00 – your body (and your breath and teeth) will thank you!
- Drink a cup of milk! Remember when you were a child and your mom had you drink warm milk before bedtime? She knew what she was talking about! Milk contains tryptophan, the same amino acid you find in that Thanksgiving turkey, a natural relaxant.
- Not into milk? How about a cup of chamomile tea! This natural, herbal and non-caffeinated tea is both delicious and relaxing!
- Exercise! No, not right before bed, but the more you use your body, the more naturally the muscles you are working will relax at the end of the day. You don’t have to go to a gym, either – how about just parking at the far end of the supermarket lot or taking the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator at the mall.
- Sniff some Lavender! Better yet, get some lavender oil and sprinkle it right on your pillow. Known as an anti-stress agent, lavender oil or bath salts can also be infused into a nice warm bath before bedtime.
- Breathe! Deep breathing exercises will relax you and clear your head.
Of course, you can try any of these in any combination that will work for you. The key here is that all of these ideas are healthy and natural.